The Pleasaunce was officially opened by the Mayor of Woolwich on 25 May 1933.
Coun R A M Walters, of Greenvale Road, was presented with a gold commemorative key, still in the possession of his family.
Coun Walters had been born in central London in 1867 before his family moved to Plumstead. Census records show him being a 'nurse boy' at the age of 13, a term meaning that he had been fostered. He spent all his working life as a clerk at the Royal Arsenal and had been sat on Woolwich Borough Council for 26 years when he became Mayor. He fathered eight children with his first wife, who died in 1915 and three further children with his second wife. He is buried in St John's Churchyard, Eltham.